Carver Community Center
North Point Builders was the Design-Build contractor for the historic renovation of the Carver Community Center in Baltimore County. The Carver Center originally opened as a high school in 1939. It was one of the first African American high schools in Baltimore County. In 2006, the Carver building was designated as a landmark by the Baltimore County Landmark Preservation Committee. The property also contains the historic log cabin known as the Jacob House, which was a home to freed slaves in the mid to late 1800’s. The Jacob House was renovated when it arrived on the Carver property in 2006. However, the Community Center was also in need of a significant exterior renovation.
Before North Point Builders began the renovation, the facility’s façade was dark, dirty, and covered in deteriorating plaster. While the building remained occupied and functional, North Point Builders made the necessary repairs so the building was a welcoming and safe place again. The project also included site improvements which involved repaving and painting the parking area, replacing stairs and sidewalks for walking paths, and completing all landscaping. Additionally, North Point Builders restored finishes on the Jacob House. Our team also provided monument signs for several street corners to emphasize the historical significance of these two buildings.
The project’s biggest challenge was restoring the dated and disintegrating plaster façade while the Community Center remained open to the public. North Point Builders created a scaffolding system around the building’s perimeter to accommodate both the experienced working craftsman and the local visitors. By coordinating and building a trusting partnership with the Community Center, our project team safely and skillfully reestablished the beauty of the historical building.
Building Awards Won